vimeomontage

Sunday, October 14, 2012

sandpiper & prawn dinner @ Sg Buloh Wetland Reserve - Oct2012

I think this is a Common Redshank (but I initially thought it was a Marsh Sandpiper). The reddish legs identify it as a Redshank. The other birds which closely resemble it are the Greenshank (with greenish legs) and the Marsh Sandpiper. This bird had a clearly visible green tag on its left leg. I assume that the green tag was  over a white tag which was not so visible. The green over white tags indicate that the bird was ringed in Singapore. SBWR does ring birds with the characteristic green over white tags to identify that these birds were tagged in Singapore.  It had just caught a nice prawn and was busy preparing it for a swallow. It kept dunking the prawn in the small stream and finally swallowed the prawn whole. I had previously thought that sandpipers went for smaller food items like insects , small crabs and small worms. This prawn was certainly at the larger end of the sandpiper's food list. 


Here is another clip of another Redshank foraging close to the ringed Redshank.
sandpiper looking for dinner @ SBWR - Oct2012 from SgBeachBum on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment