vimeomontage

Sunday, August 5, 2012

black-spitting cobra @ lim chu kang mangroves - 04Aug2012

Came across this beauty about a metre long basking in the morning sun near a Rhizophora. It certainly startled me as I did it.  I had instantly thought i was about to have my first supernatural experience in the mangroves with the tree roots coming to life and moving. It silently slid into the tangle of prop roots below the Rhizophora. ... i could not resist but follow it to make sure where it had gone to. It had moved into the shadows below the prop roots right in the middle of the tangle. After ascertaining that it was safe in the tangle of roots, i knew i was safe to walk on and I did, but I kept a close watch all about me both on the ground for cobras as well as on passing branches for the well-camouflaged pit vipers known to inhabit the mangrove woods.

Read more about this Singapore-resident cobra :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equatorial_spitting_cobra
http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/equatorial_spitting_cobra.htm
http://otterman.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/equatorial-spitting-cobra-at-sungei-mandai-besar-mangrove-2005/
http://singaporesnakes.blogspot.sg/2007/09/cobra-in-mangroves.html
https://vimeo.com/1643688 - at the Pandan mangroves
https://vimeo.com/1643582 - at the Pandan mangroves
http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/Boy%252C%2B14%252C%2Bbitten%2Bby%2B%2527cobra%2527%2Bat%2Bschool%2Bcamp.html - schoolboy gets bitten


No comments:

Post a Comment