vimeomontage

Friday, January 2, 2009

Moon Headed Side Gill Slug @ Big Sisters 31Dec2008


Moon Headed Side Gilled Slug @ Big Sisters Island from BeachBum on Vimeo.

I had shouted 'Octopus, 2 of them' across the shallow lagoon but R shouted back "oh, forget that, come look at this. Octopus can find all the time. This one cannot."

I ignored R as the two octopus looked as if they were hunting together in tandem. Maybe a mating pair. After spending some time with the octopuses, I headed for the shore where R and the rest of the team had found more Side Gilled slugs.

These are apparently rather rarely seen and are unique amongst slugs. They have gills on the side and can 'swim' by flapping their bodies.

See these links for more info :
http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/mollusca/slugs/notaspidae/euselenops.htm
http://www.seaslugforum.net/showall.cfm?base=euseluni
http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=euseluni2

Link summarising R's trip to Big Sister's and a bit more :
http://wildshores.blogspot.com/2008/12/happy-new-year-from-sisters-island.html

No comments:

Post a Comment